lundi 21 janvier 2013

to be used to /to get used to

Be used to
Be used to is used to show previous experience and familiarity with a certain situation. For example:- I am used to living abroad. - I have previous experience living abroad, so it's not difficult for me.- Jane isn't used to living abroad. - She doesn't have much experience living abroad, or if she does it is still difficult for her.- Paul is used to learning languages. - Paul has learnt languages before, so he's good at it.- Carol has never studied a foreign language, so she's not used to it. - Carol doesn't have previous experience learning a foreign language.
Get used to
Get used to is used for the process of acquiring experience and ability. In the beginning we are less experienced, then we get used to something - we go through a process of gaining experience. For example:- I wasn't used to living abroad, but I got used to it. - I didn't have expeirence living abroad, but I grew in experience until I was happy living abroad.- I didn't like banans, but I got used to them. - In the beginning I didn't like bananas, but after a while I learnt to like them.
To
In the structure be / get used to, to is a preposition, not part of the to-infinitive. For example:- I'm used to cooking for myself. OK- I'm used to cook for myself. Incorrect - "to cook" is a to-infinitive and can't be used here.
Used to - be/get used to
Used to is a completely different structure from be / get used to. Used to is for past habit, be used to means to get accustomed to something.
-----
Click below for exercises using be / get used to.

>> - Next Page - Grammar Exercises - >>

-----------------------------------------------------------




Sommaire
1 ''Used to'', les habitudes et états révolus
1.1 Utilisation
1.2 Conjugaison2 ''Be used to'', les choses auxquelles on est habitué
2.1 Exemples avec un groupe nominal
2.2 Exemples avec un verbe
3 ''Get used to'' : s'habituer
3.1 Exemples avec un groupe nominal3.2 Exemples avec un verbe
4 Ne pas confondre avec ''to use'' !
5 Conclusion



***************************************



You had better get used to this sort of ...
Look at these sentences to understand the meaning of to be used to and to get used to.

Ishmael has sailed on a ship as a common sailor.
He is used to taking orders.
= it is normal for Ishmael to take orders.
Herman went on his first ocean journey. At first, it was strange for him not to see any land for days and days. Then he got used to not seeing land.
=et became normal for him not to see land.
Notice that we use the the -ing form of the verb after to be used to and to get used to.

Exercice
To be used and to get used to
Read this conversation between Ishmael and a veteran harpooner. Remember Ishmael has already worked as a sailor, but he has never worked on a whaling ship. fill in the gaps with the words in the saure and be or get used to

work not see be close work take orders

Harpooner : I hope that you get used to word very severe.
Ishmael : Oh, that's no problem . I am ysed ti taje irders
Harpooner : Whaling ships stay at sea much longer than other kinds of ships.
Ishmael : I have already sailled and I am certain that I get used to not to see land for long periods.
Harpooner : I still find it very frightening being close to whales!
Ishmael : Well, perhaps , I get used to be close to them either.

Harpooner : Another thing, on a whaling ship every body has to work together.

Ismhael : I am used to work with others.


 

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire