lundi 21 janvier 2013

Moby Dick "Herman Melville" chapter one
Call me Ishmael. Some years ago I set out to sea, having little money and nothing particularly interesting to do on shore.

set out [phrasal verb]
1 a : to begin traveling in a particular direction ▪ We got out of the car and set out for the nearest gas station. ▪ They set out toward the east.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whenever I feel like a cold, wet November morning, and I start following funerals, then I know it's time to go back to the wide open dea.

1.whenever=at whatever time; at any time when: Come whenever you like


feel like, Informal. to have a desire for; be favorably disposed to: I don't feel like going out tonight. Do you feel like a movie

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The men you meet at sea are both good and bad, and I always try to get along with them. It's wise to be friendly with the people you have to live with on a ship.

get along [phrasal verb]
1 : to be or remain friendly ▪ We get along well enough, but we're not really close friends. ▪ My brother and my uncle don't really get along (with each other).

---------------------------------------------------***

Finally I saw a small light near the docks and an old sign swinging back and forth in the cold wind of the night.

sign =panneau [masc.].


forth(adverbe)
en avant

the dock= the pier = the wharf [pl.: wharves].
quai [masc.].

1) the space or waterway between two piers or wharves, as for receiving a ship while in port

2)a platform for loading and unloading trucks, railway freight cars, etc.

truck(nom)
remorque [fém.]. camion [masc.].

freight(nom)fret [masc.]
-----------------------------------------------

The inn was a strange , old place and one part of it leaned to one side. I stood there looking at it for a while.

to leans'incliner.se pencher.pencher.s'appuyer.appuyer

--------------------------------------
It was a small, dark place and the wind howled through the old building.

howl : the sound wolves make ;( here ) the sound of the wind blowing loudly through the building.
---------------------------------------

If you're going whaling, you had better get used to this sort of thing.

Meaning
Accept that a particular state of affairs is inevitable.

1 ''Used to'', les habitudes et états révolus
1.1 Utilisation
1.2 Conjugaison
2 ''Be used to'', les choses auxquelles on est habitué
2.1 Exemples avec un groupe nominal
2.2 Exemples avec un verbe
3 ''Get used to'' : s'habituer
3.1 Exemples avec un groupe nominal
3.2 Exemples avec un verbe
4 Ne pas confondre avec ''to use'' !
5 Conclusion

--------------------------------------
" Sorry, but there's nothing left. Every bed is taken, but if you don't mind sharing a bed with a garpooner, then you have a bed "

leave [prétérit: left, participe passé: left


To be left : rester.

----------------------------------------------
"
I don't know, but he pays on time and that's all I care about."


On time :
At or before the correct moment : at a time that is not late ▪
ex.Try to be there on time.
I paid all of my bills on time [=when they were due] this month. ▪
Please hand in your homework on time. ▪
We arrived right on time. [=exactly at the right time

-------------------------------------------------------------


The light of the candle lit up his face and I was very surprised_ I suddenly felt cold. I had never seen anyone like him before. His skin was a purplish yellow, and his face and body were covered with strange tattoos. There was no hair on his head except for a single lock of black hair. I'm not a coward but I immediatly thought of running out the door or jumping out the window, I was so scared that I thought the devil himself had entered the room that night.


light
lumière,

light[prétérit: lit ou lighted, participe passé : lit ou lighted]

purplish
violacé.(Qui tire sur la Couleur violette).

coward(nom)
lâche.poltron [fém.: poltronne].froussard.couard.

scared(adj)
effrayé.apeuré.

devil
diable [masc.].
démon [masc.].
--------------------------------------------------
The harpooner got undressed, lit a small fire and said some kind of prayer to an evil-looking black doll he had pulled out of his pocked. Then he got into bed

undress= got undressed
déshabiller


evil-looking(adj)
having an evil appearance

evil (adj)
malfaisant .malin. méchant. mauvais


doll
poupée [fém.].
----------------------------------------------------
he seemed quiet and fell asleep immediately. I felt that I had nothing to be afraid of. After all, he was a clean, peaceful cannibal, and it was better to sleep with a sober cannibal than with a drunk Christian. I turned over and fell asleep. I never slept better in my life

cannibal
a person who eats the meat of deas humans
sober
à jeun (ne pas être ivre).

drunk
ivre.saoul.

clean
net.propre.nettoyé.soigné.





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire